Sunday, November 3, 2013

I am here for you

Happy November! 

This past Saturday, due to some feelings of cabin fever and anxiety I decided to drive up to Madison for a day trip. It was such a good choice! I ate some awesome streetcar food, went to some bookshops, and one of my favorite little Madison stores, Anthology. I'm annoyed that I didn't think to take any pictures while I was up there, street food and bookstores considered.

I need to do a separate post on my favorite Madison bookstores, but UNTIL THEN I guess you'll have to survive on this book haul post. This visit, I went to my favorite bookstore - A Room of One's Own - as well as the UW bookstore, because why the fuck not? As expected, it was really really big and made me feel totally inadequate about my own college's bookstore. *Pats Beloit College turtle on the head*

Anyways, here's what I got:




I got the Middle Eastern books and On Beauty at Room, and the Vonnegut and Fun Home at the UW. I was actually really excited to see Fun Home there, since I had looked for it at room in the graphic novels section and only found Are You My Mother? There were a few other books I was interested in, but I am unfortunately not made of money.

I'm really excited to read On Beauty, since I got a preview for my Kindle and loved it. I've been hearing a lot about Zadie Smith recently, and am trying to choose my books more conscientiously; that is, read more female/women of color/LGBTQIA authors.

Another little Madison story - when I was walking down State Street, I noticed that a lot of little stores on one block were closed. The Afghani restaurant I like to go to - Kabul - only moved to a new location, but everywhere else was closed, which was a huge bummer, since I really liked those restaurants. Hopefully more cool places will move in there, instead of a massive Anthropologie or something? (Nothing against Anthropologie - just trying to think of a chain college students like that isn't Urban Outfitters or Salvation Army.)

I still have a few posts in progress - Never Let Me Go review, and others. Hopefully they won't sit by the wayside for too long. Also, happy NaNoWriMo to all of you who are participating! I haven't in years past, but maybe during winter break I can make my own or give myself the kick that I needed to work on my LWD fic.

(~~You may say I'm a dreamer.....~~)

Hope you all are doing well and taking care of yourselves. If any of y'all are from Madison, do you have any favorite local stores? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment