Monday, October 28, 2013

Tag: Book Collection



In an effort to eke a few more updates on this here blog before October ends, I thought I would do this fun book tag! Book blogging is the main reason I started this blog, and while I've kind of gotten off topic, I still want to return to reading every now and then. The tag was created by booksforeverafter.

1. How many books do you own?
Err.... I don't know. Since I'm at school, I can't count my collection at home, but the number of unread books I have is 128. I have 11 non-school books I have with me at college, not counting my Kindle. 

2. How long has it taken to accumulate your collection?
I'd say since fourth grade or so? That seems to be the age of my oldest book (not counting Harry Potter). I've purged a lot over the years due to moves and stuff.

3. How often do you buy books?
I try not to buy so many right now, since (1) I'm at school and can't take them home easily and (2) I don't have a disposable income right now. When I usually buy books, it's either at the airport going home, at the Half Price books by my house, and at independent books stores when I visit Madison. (I love love love A Room Of One's Own).

4. What is the first book you remember buying?
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning and Meet Josefina (An American Girl) are what's coming to me now, so let's go with that.

5. How do you arrange your books?
I always seem to rearrange them when I go home. But right now, it's this:

I stack all nonfiction books next to my bookshelf, since they don't fit and I have a smaller number of them. My fiction books are arranged thusly: 
  • Top shelf: books read for/during high school and nerd camp, and college. Family books, and books read over this past summer. Graphic novels.
  • Second - fourth shelves: Books I haven't read yet, arranged alphabetically. 
  • Fifth shelf: Books I've read and books I've held onto over the years: Sarah Dessen, Agatha Christie, John Green, Garth Nix, Terry Pratchett, Howl's Moving Castle Series, etc. These are the books usually most precious to my heart, as I've gone out and bought copies of them after wear/tear and checking them out from the library over and over and over.
  • Sixth shelf: Books I've read. Art books, fantasy, series books. Animation books, Tintin, David Bowie Is, Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Harry Potter, the first three Chronicles of Narnia. 

6. What was the last book you purchased?
Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro.

7. What is the longest book you own? 
The Tale of Genji: 1,182 pages.

8. What is the shortest book you own? 
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories: 70 pages.


When I go home for Thanksgiving, I'll try to take a picture of my books for its own little tour. But until then, I've got to buckle down and work.


No comments:

Post a Comment