Tuesday, January 6, 2015

2014 in review, goals for 2015

2014 was a pretty crazy year for me. I spent the first half stressed out and moody and the second half... stressed out (sometimes), but also totally elated and joyful. A lot of great things have happened to me in the past few months, and if I play my cards right, then some great things will hopefully come my way in 2015. (It still doesn't feel like 2015. it probably won't until November or something.)

Book wise, 2014 was also pretty cool for me. I got my first "official" review book, Not My Father's Son, and finally read some books that I've either been meaning to finish for years or have been looking for for what seemed like years. I also utilized my Kindle to a much greater extent this past year than I have before due to being abroad, and I have a few gems on it right now that I'm looking forward to this upcoming semester. I was ALSO able to complete my 2014 reading challenge! Considering I was abroad for about four months, I'm kinda surprised that I was able to finish.



SO. My favorite reads of 2014 (in no particular order) were Shades of Grey, by Jasper Fforde; The Gardner Heist, by Ulrich Boser; The Mayor of Castro Street, by Randy Shilts; The Tiger's Wife, by Tea Obreht; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, by Douglas Adams; and Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.




This year I have a few goals for myself. Not too many, since I'll be going abroad again in about a week and a half, and that doesn't leave me (what I think is) enough time to get a significant start on my reading goal AND prepare for the semester AND work on art AND see my friends and family before I leave. So, yeah, reading will probably go to the wayside for the next few months — but I'm ok with that.

(Anyways. 2015 goals.)

  1. To read 15 books before January 1, 2016.
  2. To read 5 (or more!) nonfiction books. 
  3. To read 5 books that I have owned for at LEAST one year prior to January 1, 2015. 
  4. To either buy books on the Kindle store, or borrow them from the library. I would like to avoid buying physical books whenever possible.
  5. To be more prompt with my book reviews. (There are only... five? six? from 2014 that I haven't finished. Urgh.)  
So, there y'all have it. Do you have any goals for 2015? Does any book from 2014 stick out to you in particular? Let me know in the comments. And as always, I'm taking recommendations. 

Happy 2015, dudes. Let's make this the best one yet! (David Bowie thinks it'll be pretty neat, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment