Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I Love... Bite Me!

So, one of the problems in writing a book blog is that it's hard to talk about books I've read in the past; I want this blog to be current and keep it as a sort of diary about the books that I'm reading now and my thoughts on them. So I decided that I wanted to start a new blog feature titled "I Love..." Due to the weird, hectic nature of my summer vacation schedule, I'm still trying to figure out a decent update time. Hopefully once I go back to school, I'll be able to commit to something concrete, but for now it's whenever I can get either the time or the gumption to write.

But enough about that. This post, I want to talk about the magical, fantastical, hilarious and revolutionary webcomic Bite Me! by Dylan Meconis.


Some background about me: I really love comics. 

I'm not one of those people that can name issue numbers and list obscure comic details that only a "real fan" would know (which, really, the entire concept of a "real comics fan" is just bullshit). But I am familiar with certain artists, and I do love and appreciate how some stories that can be told in comics aren't possible in just prose. I am all about visuals, and as someone who personally loves to draw, I love taking in comics pages just so I can look at the artwork. 

But because I didn't have a disposable income as a child, and had (correction: still have) a mother who really would rather have me reading "literature" than comics, I had to find other (read: free) alternatives. Enter, webcomics.

Dylan Meconis's Bite Me! was one of my first discoveries, and it has more than held up over the years. It's about a group of vampires trying to rescue their coven from French revolutionaries. There are tons of jokes about Robespierre, mobs, how to raise a riot, and chickens. (Revolutions are a surprisingly fabulous time and place to make jokes about the ruling class.) Meconis is absolutely hilarious, and the variety of characters means that each one is a screwball in their own right.

Claire. Literally one of my favorite characters ever. Via

The art is absolutely fantastic, and this work (? what else should I call it?) continues to inspire me every time I read it. I'm asking for it for my birthday, but it's all online!

Although Bite Me! is over, the story (kind of) continues in her comic Family Man, with the werewolf Luther Levy. Like Bite Me!, Family Man is fantastic, and I cannot recommend it enough.

Has anyone else read Bite Me! before? Or is anyone else interested in webcomics? List the title in the comments, and I'll give them a try!

Happy reading!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment